This privacy statement only covers HEInnovate. It does not cover sites that either link to or from this site.
Guide to Contents
- What is the purpose of the data collection?
- What information do we collect?
- Who has access to your information?
- For what purpose do we use your information?
- Which technical means do we use for processing your data?
- How long do we keep your data?
- How can you access your personal data, verify its accuracy and, if necessary, correct it or request its deletion?
- How do we share your information?
- Cookies and other technologies, third party websites, content and resources
1. What is the purpose of the data collection?
The purpose of data collection is to capture over time the institutional development (intrainstitutional, but never inter-institutional).
2. What information do we collect?
Information you provide to us. When you use our Website, including when you create a user account, start or submit a self-assessment, or when you ask a question through the Website, you may provide us with information that identifies you or your contacts (“personal information”), such as:
- Your full name, address, e-mail address, other information that may identify you as an individual e.g. country, name of higher education institution (or organisation), your role, name of faculty/department and area of discipline
- Any personal information you submit to us in any message boards
Information we collect from you automatically. When you use the Website, we may also collect information about your use of the Website and the device used to access the Website that relates to you, but on its own this information collected does not identify you (“non-personal information”). Such information includes your:
- IP address and country location
- Browser information (including browser type, capabilities, and language)
- Operating system
- Date and time you accessed the Website
- Website usage information, including the paths taken as you move from one website or webpage to another website or webpage (i.e., your "click stream" activity).
3. Who has access to your information?
The self-assessment results are only available to the registered user or group administrator. The registered profile gives access to all self-assessments completed by the user, which can be used for their own internal comparative purposes.
As a general rule, the management team of the processor and the website developer and administrator team have access to data by virtue of website administration. They are bound by the applicable European Data Protection Legislation, so it is ensured that no information collected will be communicated to anyone outside.
The service providers act as processors and are by contract bound to respect the confidentiality of any information brought to their attention in the performance of the work and that they will not divulge to third parties or use for their own benefit, or that of any third party, any document or information not available publicly - even after completion of the contract with the European Commission.
4. For what purpose do we use your information?
HEInnovate (and our service providers) may use your personal information:
- To provide the features and functionality of the Website to you
- To identify you as the sender of, and to process, your e-mails
- To respond to questions and comments
- To send you tailored messages helping you use our Website
- To improve, enhance, and tailor the Website for you, and to improve and enhance the overall Website experience for all the Website users
- To carry out specific actions you may request
- For statistical purposes in an aggregated and anonymised manner
5. Which technical means do we use for processing your data?
The information is stored on a secure server hosted in a protected data centre, which is located in a country of the European Union.
6. How long do we keep your data?
We store your data for seven years from the first registration. This maximum period has been decided after informal consultation with HEInnovate's independent experts on the basis of optimal benefit-cost ratio. This retention limit provides the benefit for users to assess their progress while their data is stored during a reasonable period of time, i.e. 7 years.
For those users, who do use the website without registration and complete the self-assessment without login to the website i.e. guest users, we store the information provided for three months. After the three months time period all data is deleted from the system.
7. How can you access your personal data, verify its accuracy and, if necessary, correct it or request its deletion?
You can access and modify certain personal information stored at the Website, if you have submitted personal information when creating a user account or completed a self-assessment, such as your name, e-mail address, country, institution, role, area of discipline, faculty/department and group membership by logging into your account at the Website. It is the Website user’s responsibility to ensure that the provided information is correct.
You may also delete your account. Upon deletion of your account, HEInnovate will delete your account from our Website servers.
In case of problems with the personal access to the system, the users can contact the processor (email@example.com) that manages the website.
Further to the above the data subject can contact:
- DG EAC, Unit in charge of HEInnovate: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DG EAC's Data Protection Coordinator: email@example.com
- The European Commission Data Protection Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
In case of conflict, complaints can be addressed to the European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS) http://www.edps.europa.eu
8. How do we share your information?
HEInnovate may share your personal information with third-party service providers when the information is necessary for them to perform their duties. These third-party service providers are contractually restricted from using your information for any other purpose and required to comply with all applicable laws with respect to the information they receive.
9. Cookies and other technologies, third party websites, content and resources
Cookies: HEInnovate uses cookie technology in line with applicable European legislation as part of the Website's statistical reporting and for other purposes related to making the Website available to you. A cookie is a small piece of information sent by a website that is saved on your hard disk by your computer's browser. It holds information a website may need to gather statistical data and thus personalise your experience.
If you prefer, you can configure your browser to reject all cookies, or to notify you when a cookie is set. Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie and privacy preferences. For more information about HTTP cookies and how to disable them, or restrict the categories of cookies you wish to accept, you can consult the information at www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/. However, if you reject cookies, your use of the Website may be impaired.
HEInnovate takes all reasonable steps to protect the security and integrity of all personal information provided to this Website. The website is secured using industry standard SSL encryption which ensures that personal data are never sent over the Internet unencrypted and therefore cannot be read by third party viewer.